Circular rainbows: Most of the rainbows we see are actually arcs of perfect circles (with, accordingly, radii of exactly 42 degrees).
Secondary rainbows: Primary rainbows are often accompanied by secondary rainbows that are usually thinner and dimmer than the main rainbow. They display the spectrum in reverse order from that of a primary rainbow.
Red rainbows: Red rainbows are usually seen at sunrise or sunset when the thickness of the earth’s atmosphere filters out blue light leaving more red or orange light for water droplets to reflect and refract.
Sundog: Sundogs are not rainbows per se, but share many of their visible attributes. Sundogs are created when sunlight shines through ice crystals high in the atmosphere.
Fogbow: Fogbows are much rarer than rainbows because certain narrow parameters must align to create them. For one, the light source must be behind the observer and low to the ground. Also, any fog to the rear of the observer must be very thin so that sunlight can shine through to the thicker fog in front.
Fire rainbows: Fire rainbows are not true rainbows. The phenomenon (called a “circumhorizontal arc”) can only be viewed under certain precise conditions: the cirrus clouds that act as prisms must be at least 20,000 feet high and the sun must strike them when it is at an elevation of 58 to 68 degrees.
Moonbow: Moonbows are much more difficult to witness due to the requirement of a passing rainstorm and, ideally, a bright full moon unblocked by clouds.
I’ve seen some of these. I’ve seen double rainbows, moonbows and fire rainbows. The fire rainbow is definitely one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen. It was like magic in the sky; I was speechless. I never looked up what it was afterward, so I’m glad to now have an explanation and a name.
- barch3tta likes this
- mojojojo449 reblogged this from skyuki
- mojojojo449 likes this
- winter-willows likes this
- keziabonnie reblogged this from skyuki
- skyuki reblogged this from rhythm-of-time
- rainbwmanshe reblogged this from anigmel
- rainbwmanshe likes this
- hangingonbrains likes this
- particelleinstabili reblogged this from pa-pa-pa-la
- hydfreak likes this
- inadra reblogged this from warrior-worrier
- inadra likes this
- dudeitsdon reblogged this from dominicky
- delenaxd reblogged this from rhythm-of-time
- idontthink-feels-shouldbeokay reblogged this from slightlycrazedbookworm
- idontthink-feels-shouldbeokay likes this
- rice-ah likes this
- thisguymichael likes this
- slightlycrazedbookworm reblogged this from theavidreader
- slightlycrazedbookworm likes this
- dominicky reblogged this from theavidreader
- dominicky likes this
- sergiohouses reblogged this from rhythm-of-time
- anigmel reblogged this from quincyrobin3
- theavidreader reblogged this from rhythm-of-time
- quincyrobin3 reblogged this from relaxitsjordyjor
- relaxitsjordyjor likes this
- relaxitsjordyjor reblogged this from rhythm-of-time
- miimii-le reblogged this from kneenee
- loveleesanity reblogged this from rhythm-of-time
- kneenee reblogged this from rhythm-of-time
- skyuki likes this
- rhythm-of-time reblogged this from micheellelee
- yannickbaberath likes this
- wrackingmybrain likes this
- tofudragon reblogged this from skittlesness
- andineedyounow2 reblogged this from rainbowbonkers
- livelaughlovewhileyoucan likes this
- dmcanonymous reblogged this from altymon
- dmcanonymous likes this
- altymon reblogged this from thegrownupkid2
- 1653 likes this
- pretty-rage-machine reblogged this from speakerphones
- nerdphobia likes this
- speakerphones reblogged this from pineapplebananacurry
- shadow-dove likes this
- echoreyn likes this
- hayers likes this
- rainbeamsandmoonbows reblogged this from no-onecouldbethatclever and added: